Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cat Soup


I had heard of Cat Soup back in 2001 near the time it first came out. In fact, I think I made some pins of the pictures from the article. This was before I knew what it was. I don't even think I read the article.

I picked up the movie at a video game store when I saw it in a bin for five dollars. It's one of the coolest experimental animations I've ever seen. It's completely up for interpretation, really. I didn't know what to think of it at first, but it still made me cry at the end.

The story follows two cat siblings- Nyako (the sister) and Nyatto (the brother)- on a journey beyond the realms of the living, into a surreal landscape of gods, elephants made of water, and a strange man hungry for some cat soup. The goal is for Nyatto to retrieve his sister from death, while at the same time, risking his own return.

It's a movie to watch more than once, for sure. To let all the details sink in, sans dialog. And to let the main menu play you to sleep with its melodic music box tune.

For everything (sights, sounds, and concept), I give this movie a 9/1o.

No comments:

Post a Comment