Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo / Men Who Hate Women


On suggestion, I went out last night to catch a Swedish film called The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. In Sweden, it's called Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women), and rightly so. It's a forensic drama about a private detective named Mikael and Girl named Lisbeth trying to solve mysterious murders of women of the Vanger family (and the disappearance of Harriet Vanger). The mystery stretches them from the 50s through now. That's one plot. The second is the Girl. She's on some sort of probation due to a psychotic outbreak and needs to be kept under the care of a foster parent, making it difficult for her to access her money without doing things to get it.

Let me say right now, for anyone who has ever been raped, or heard about a friend who has been, and wish some sort of equally sick revenge, there is a great scene you need to watch. Unfortunately, you will have to endure the horrific scenes to get to that one. Worth it, I say.

This movie was a little difficult to get into at first, but once the ball started rolling, once Mikael and Lisbeth got together to maximize their skills together, is when it started to really get interesting. Pieces fell together and other pieces fell apart. And of course, when they get too close to the truth, they are in danger! My initial comment during the end credits was that this movie was like one long, Swedish episode of CSI with twice the twists. That's a good thing. It was really good.

I haven't read the book yet, but I've heard it's fantastic. I'll be putting it on my list for when I hit the bookstore later this week.

Plot: 10/10 Pace: 8/10 Edge of my seat: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment