Friday, March 27, 2009

Alice



Něco z Alenky (aka Alice) is Jan Svankmajer's surreal look at Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Wonderland here means, a crumbly old house and yard filled with raw, walking meat, living animal skeletons, and tube socks with a mind of their own.

Go down the rabbit hole, or if you're this Alice, a drawer, or down an elevator shaft that looks like a masochist's pantry, and enter the world of Jan Svankmajer, complete with stop motion, live action, meat, dolls, and puppets. Most of the elements from the original story are there; the Queen, the cards, the caterpillar, the Mad Hatter and March Hare... I think I found everything, except for the Cheshire Cat and Door Mouse.

I first saw this movie on mute, being projected on the screen of my local goth club Vertex. I asked the DJ what he was playing, and I barely heard what he said (something something Alice), but I figured it out easily enough. I was immediately won over by the choppy animation and the creepy dolls and puppets, and of course, I know of no other filmmaker that uses raw meat and taxidermy to animate a fairy tale.

+10 for creepy. +6 for background sounds. +9 for including Pig and Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment